Finding A Home

Family outside their Estuary homeAffordable Rented Homes

How you apply for rental housing will depend on your circumstances and the type of home you are looking for.  We have a contract with the Local Authorities (Councils) called ‘nomination agreements’. This means we have to allocate a percentage of our empty homes to people from their waiting lists. You will need to contact your local council's housing department and complete one of their application forms to be nominated by them for one of our properties. The council will explain how their housing register and nominations system operates.

Some councils operate a choice based lettings scheme. Once you have been accepted on their housing register you can bid for any of the affordable homes they advertise and for which you are matched. The successful bidder is the one with the highest priority under the scheme.

We allocate our rental homes from the following sources:

  • The Councils’ waiting lists
  • Our transfer list (for our own residents to apply to register on)
  • Our own direct waiting list

All of our homes for let according to our  Selection and Allocation Policy.pdf (0.254MB) Adobe Acrobat File. This document advises you on the criteria Estuary uses for those applying to be housed by us.

To apply to register for a home in one of the ‘open’ local authority areas please complete our  Housing Application Form.pdf (0.353MB) Adobe Acrobat File. If you need help in completing the form please contact us and we will be happy to assist.


Other Housing Options

Please see the menu on the left hand side for other housing options available through Estuary, which include Market Renting and Mutual Exchange. If you know what it is you are looking for, have a look at our Property search.

I am going to be homeless in the near future, what can I do?

You need to contact the local authority Housing Options team and ask to fill out a homeless application. The Housing Options team will assess your application and if you meet specific criteria they may be able to assist by putting you into emergency accommodation.

Shelter may also be able to help you with any issues you have surrounding your current housing circumstances. There is a 24 hour service available for people looking for housing advice. It is called Shelterline and the number is 0808 800 4444.


Private Renting

Renting privately is often the quickest way for you to find housing. We would suggest you speak to the Housing Options team within Local Authority of the area you wish to live as they should be able to give you further information about renting privately and you may be eligible for a rent deposit scheme.

You should contact lettings agents in the area by looking in the Yellow Pages or in your local free paper.